Thursday, August 9, 2012

what to wear... or what not to wear! | 8.9.12


I love my mother, and my grandmothers, and my aunts.  And I love them even after each of them played a role at one point or another in the identical clothing ensembles my sister and I donned for pictures throughout our childhood.  Now I can't lie - we were cute kids.  Even if we were occasionally dressed in the same pink floral dresses with white lace, pearl bead-studded collars.  (A disclaimer: matching clothes are cute on kids who are two... but not necessarily twelve.)

So often, I hear people stressing out before their session, saying "WHAT am I going to wear!?"  (Sometimes I then have flashbacks to those beloved matching outfit portraits of Kay and I.)  I understand what a daunting task it can be at times to dress for the occasion.  That's why we've put together some clothing and color combinations that would look great behind the lens.  Use these ideas to round up a wardrobe from your own closet, or as a springboard for your own color palette!



Light, bright palettes aren't only for summer and spring!  Cheerful shades can add a lot to less colorful seasons.


It's natural for you to want to look your best.  A thought to keep in mind is... while you look good, be comfortable!  When you're comfortable, your body language and expressions will be more relaxed... more YOU!


A good rule of thumb when choosing colors is to choose something that will contrast the season you're in.  For example, if you're scheduled for a session in the autumn when the leaves have turned, try not to dress in oranges or browns, as you'll match your surroundings.  Your images are ultimately about YOU!


We hope these ideas help you out as you prepare for your session!  Remember, don't stress out - because your expressions are even more important than your outfits.

(A final note: please do not choose matching turtle-necks with snowmen on them.  It's hard to make a comeback from that.)   ;)

Jill
__

No comments:

Post a Comment